Cavaliers Regiment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portals for beginners

3 posters

Go down

Portals for beginners Empty Portals for beginners

Post  Molyra Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Hello all you Portal-loving Cavaliers.

As most of you know, when I'm not out defending our glorious lands from evil with Selm, I'm either brewing potions, at the Auction House, or teaching my portal-classes. I thought it would be nice to share some of my portal-knowledge with you all.

So, here goes. *puts on her monocle, looking very teachery* To create a portal basically is to bend the various rifts in space that exist all around us, invisible to the human eye. Those rifts can be sensed by mages familiar to rifts. Once the rift has been mended to create a rough portal-path, the mage interweaves a certain pattern of energy-fluxes into the bended rift. The pattern needed depends on the portal wanted. For exemple, a portal from Ironforge to Darnassus requires a different energy-pattern then a portal from the Exodar to Darnassus. This interweaving is very very important. If done incorrectly, the portal will collapse, sending your various molecules to.... well, wherever, and you could end up loosing bodyparts or even your life if you step into an incorrectly constructed portal. So, before you ask for a mage to portal you somewhere, make sure the mage has a license! Very important.

The first step, however, is the bending of the rift. Mages need to first familiarise themselves thoroughly with the ways of the arcane, frost and fire. Only them can they start to recognise the various rifts. Not every rift can be used as a possible portal. Some rifts, for exemple, do not lead back into our time-continuum. Others lead to places no man can ever survive, for there is no air to breathe. The rifts that can be succesfully bended into portal can be recognised by their specific flux-variations.

After a possible portal-rift has been selected, the mage focusses on the flux-variations to help bend the rift. The bending does not require any tools, except for a certain amount of focus and concentration. Basically, the mind makes the changes. Training usually starts with the bending of spoons, first. The flux-variations of spoons are quite similar to those of the rifts used for portals. Once spoons can be bent, the mage is allowed to try bending rifts.

This is done in a specifically engineered classroom. The room is designed to have some of the right rifts and some of the wrong rifts, to train the mage in selecting the right rifts by focussing on the flux-variations. It is heavily supervised training, because if the mage has insufficient focus or concentration, the rifts won't bend enough and will bounce back, blasting the mage away untill they hit the wall, usually. The wrongly bended rift then needs to be corrected, before it will collapse and swallows the room as a whole. This is usually one of the more exciting parts of the course *grins*.

Right! This concludes today's class. Next time, I'll explain more about the interweaving of energy-patterns.

*takes off her monocle and smiles widely*
Molyra
Molyra

http://www.cavaliersregiment.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Portals for beginners Empty Re: Portals for beginners

Post  Selman Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:57 pm

*Reads. Blinks and reads again. Blinks two times. Scratches his nose, letting out something similiar to "eh?" and thinks. Shakes his head, grabs sword and go to kill something*
Selman
Selman
Admin

Location : Middle Europe, though sometimes I feel like Azeroth

https://cavaliersregiment.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frad_St Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:26 pm

"takes of his hat to honor the wise mage" that must i say, it is more complicate then i looks like, but so far i have learned to make portals to ironforge an stormwind...
i have an question tho: how much should it cost for people pay for an portal???
Frad_St
Frad_St

Back to top Go down

Post  Molyra Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Gosh, Frad.. I always ask for a tip. And thusfar, I've never been disappointed.
But if I were you, I'd not ask beneath 50 silvers. Reagents cost money too. Oh, and I let friends portal for free. That's what friends are for, eh? *giggles*

Oh, and make sure you get paid first, and then start your portal. Otherwise you get scammed easily. Happened to me once. I can be such a naive peasant girl...*sighs slightly*
Molyra
Molyra

http://www.cavaliersregiment.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum